Monday 11 June 2012

As October looms closer.....how about a game of Critical Pursuit?

October 2012 is the launch period for the Holy Father's push to evangelise the world, or, in the case of the bulk of Catholics in Europe, to re-evangelise them.

I say this because there has been a deal of bitter comment of late about "traditionalists" and "liberals" and it seems to me that, while there is certainly no need for this, there must be some recognition that the touchy feely liturgies and the disregard for Catholic teaching  means that the two groups (if I may call them that) are poles apart.

It is the liberals who need the re-evangelisation process because, quite frankly, they have lost the plot - they've forgotten what the Catholic Faith is all about. They don't give a damn about the Church's teaching on contraception or gay "marriage" or women priests and they may also be a bit iffy about abortion.

Now please, if you do wish to leave a comment, do not make it an anonymous one. I do try to be reasonable but, of late the Anons have been pushing their luck a bit.

But back to the point of all this; those most in need of re-evangelisation are the young adults and those still in the secondary education system, products of liberal Catholic catechesis.

They have been fed the most awful junk diet of slush and error that it is possible to imagine and they need some real organic bread and wine to ensure that they remain Catholics for life, not just until they have flown the nest.

Stay with me while I indulge in my fantasy of winning some 3 million pounds on the National Lottery.
I would take a fair old lump of that cash and invest it in producing a board game designed to entertain and, while it entertains, to also educate.

I am not an academic but I have designed a fair few training programmes aimed at teaching people (from the age of 3 up) to play a game that is good fun but also, subliminally,  teaches, at the same time.



                           Life may be Trivial but Eternal Life is Critical


And so it is, I would launch onto the market (and send 10 free sets to every Catholic Secondary School in the country) my version called 'CRITICAL PURSUIT'.

The game would, as I know you are fully aware, comprise questions regarding Catholic teaching on faith and morals...a sort of Monopoly type version of the Catechism.

It might not be the number one selling game at Christmas but I will bet a few ten pence pieces that the Bishops of England and Wales will not be coming up with anything half as effective!

4 comments:

  1. Contraception is a tough for me as I was led to believe this was a "matter of conscience" which appears to be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stuart, yes it does sound daunting. Personal conscience does not really enter into it with doctrinal teaching. It's right and that's it.
    However, the natural method is perfectly safe and workable. Best wishes to you and Caral.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Collins,

    Well said. I am 35 years old here in the States and I love the Holy Church and her traditions. It is far past time to leave the ridiculousness of the "spirit of Vatican II" behind and restore the Church Militant to her mission to preach the Gospel to all people and to save souls and call God's children to holiness. A diet of slush leads to weak faith. We need good food to grow strong in our faith.

    ReplyDelete