Saturday 31 August 2013

Is this the best Don Camillo passage ever?

                


Mayor Peppone has just been to confession, after 30 something years.

He confesses to Don Camillo that he was the one who gave the priest a good beating a few weeks previously.

Being the good priest that he is, Don Camillo gives Peppone a penance of 20 Hail Marys and 20 Our Fathers.

And then, as Peppone kneels to say his penance, Don Camillo discusses the matter with the crucified Christ above the altar:

"Lord, if I have been a worthy servant to you, grant me one small favour.

Let me at least hit him with this candle. After all, Lord, what is a candle?"

"No", replied Christ, "Your hands were made for blessing."

Don Camillo sighed wearily. He genuflected and left the altar.

As he turned to make a final sign of the cross, he found himself behind Peppone who still knelt at the communion rails and appeared absorbed in prayer.

"Lord", groaned Don Camillo, clasping his hands and looking up at the crucifix, "My hands were made for blessing, but not my feet".

"There's something in that" replied Christ, "but, I warn you, just one".

The kick landed like a thunderbolt. Peppone didn't bat an eye.

After a minute he got up and sighed.

"I've been expecting that for the past ten minutes," he remarked casually, "I feel better now."

"So do I" exclaimed Don Camillo whose heart was now as light and serene as a May morning.

Christ said nothing at all but it was easy to see that He too was pleased.



If you have not read any of the Don Camillo stories, I urge you to do so. They were written by Giovanni Guareschi and are still to be found on Abe and Amazon.

5 comments:

  1. It is also possible to purchase the two movies about Dom Camillo on DVD from Amazon.

    The excerpt you cited which I read when I was a child always stuck in my mind also. Alas it couldn't happen today. The media would have a field day, the Church would be sued and poor Don Camillio would probably be laicised or sent to spend the rest of his life in a monastery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Victoria, you are right, if it happened today there would be an uproar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seem to remember that even back then, Don Camillo got in trouble with his saintly bishop now and again...

    But I agree that all the Don Camillo stories are fantastic: talk about the Church militant!

    Thanks for publishing this evocative extract.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... and it IS, indeed, one of the most brilliant Don Camillo passages ... within the very first episode!;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Richard

    I have copied some your excellent quote for my blog post on Don Camillo. I hope that this is OK with you. If not, please let me know.

    In return, I offer you and your readers this: http://doncamilloblog.wordpress.com/

    An enthusiast's blog. It includes a quiz. Which I failed.

    Here is the link for the Radio 4 production:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tdmpn


    Hope someone out there enjoys this and glad to see a fellow fan...

    Mrs Meadowsweet


    http://mrsmeadowsweet.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete